Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Crochet Therapy

A Works for Me Wednesday tip.

I love to crochet. I find it calming, centering, soothing. I taught myself when I was a child, by looking at the pictures in one of those "how to" books. I have crocehted baby blankets and clothes for my own children, neices and nephews, caps, purses, vests, all kinds of things. Recently I read about the Prayer Shawl Ministry, and although I have not formally participated, I have appropriated the idea behind it.
As I crochet, I envision the person for whom I am making the article.
Before Christmas, I made scarves and shawls for all my girls. As I crocheted, I kept a picture of the person in my mind. With each stitch, I prayed for that person. I prayed for inner peace, for God's mercy and grace, I thanked Him for that person and all that she has meant in my life, and for everyone she loves.
I prayed that as she wore the scarf, she would find love in her heart for everyone she met.
I prayed that I would be a better mother, grandmother, aunt, sister, friend to her.
I prayed that I would be used in her life.
I thanked God for her.
I lifted her up for God's blessing.

I can't say how they for whom I crocheted have felt wearing these gifts of prayer.

I can say that I have been blessed in more ways than I can express by all those hours of prayer for these ones that I love.

Don't know how to knit or crochet? Wal-mart has a book to teach yourself, easy enough for anyone who can read and look at pictures.

Works for me.

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

Funny you should mention this...a group of ladies at our church is working on prayer shawls, and I'm trying to learn. It is very relaxing. I just started a few weeks ago, and used the Wal-mart starter books. I'm also using Knittinghelp.com.

Anonymous said...

When i crochet a blanket/afghan, sweater, etc. for someone, I think about whom I am doing it for, and I hope that while I am doing that, I am not only loving them while I do it, perhaps some of that love will seep out into the thing that I am making. I certainly, for the most part, do not crochet for those I do not love.