Monday, February 08, 2010

Loss

It's a cold, rainy, bleak day.

My niece, who had her first prenatal check-up last week, lost her baby last night.

True, it was not a planned pregnancy. And not the best timing. Her husband is on the short list to be shipped overseas with the National Guard. She has a year-old boy, and less-than-three-year-old girl.

But this baby was wanted, nevertheless.

Wanted by its mother and father.

Wanted by its grandparents.

Wanted by its aunts and uncles and cousins.

A beloved child.

Our great consolation is that this baby is back in God's arms today.

even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

3 comments:

MotherT said...

Oh, Jan, I'm so sorry for your family's loss. I'll be praying for all of you, but especially for your niece and her hubby.

jillybean said...

How beautiful! You made me cry. I know L. is not ready to be comforted yet, but what comforting words!
Jill

Blond Girl said...

I lost my first baby. Knowing that there was a reason for the baby to be in Heaven instead of my arms was a comfort - eventually. Even though this baby is in Heaven, I'm sure that he or she has the joy of knowing that he or she was loved and wanted. When we lost our baby and buried her, we were told that a soul in Heaven has no age. This baby, though unformed on earth, had a name, a spirit, and a live in Heaven. So comforting. So real. And 11 years later, still so with me.