Sunday, April 09, 2006

Then the student said...

I teach in a disciplinary program. My husband and I both teach there. We've been doing it for years, and feel that it is our calling--our gift--to work with these students. Our gift, in more than one sense. A gift from God who calls us to do this work. A gift for dealing with difficult students, students who often have never had any parental guidance, who may not even know one or both of their parents, or who have had to assume the adult role in the household because the "adults" behave like immature children. But these kids also are a gift to us. They often give us insights into issues we have struggled with for a long time. Sometimes they gift us with their love, the gift of their trust, and their progress toward adulthood. Sometimes they just give us a good laugh.
Thursday I had to redirect a student several times, because he was not working on his assignments. Each time, he argued that he had nothing to do, but as I went through the stacks of books and papers in his cubicle, we found that he did indeed have a great deal of work to do; he just didn't want to do any of it.
Mid-afternoon I saw that he was drawing. I took the drawing from him, and redirected him. His response?
"If you hadn't of seen that, you wouldn't have come back her and taken it away from me!!"
What could I say? He was right; if I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have taken it.
Here is where you are supposed to laugh :)

3 comments:

Diane Viere said...

O.K...I'm not laughing...but I am smiling! My second son was a little like this...so the humor sometimes escapes me!

I am so thankful for faithful teachers such as yourself! God Bless you!

Diane

Jeana said...

What...?!

Bethany said...

Wow. What an admirable job. I am a teacher an this year I'm teaching inclusion, second grade. I did last year too, but this year I have a lot of students that could very likely end up somewhere like you teach.

Good job...and keep up the good work!